Monday, July 21, 2008

Once our Baby, Always our Baby

Over the last month, Mayenne has grown so much: she's taller and stronger now; she can walk rather steadily and even master stair climbing; has teeth to bite and chew food; and she can identify more than half of the alphabets and at least 40-50 things, from body parts to animals, and household items to people.

As her Mummy, I must admit I'm very happy and proud that Mayenne has completed her first milestone, from baby to toddler. But most importantly, she is a happy kid with loads of ideas and "patterns" up her sleeves, and she never fails to put a smile on our faces.

So fast she's grown, I've actually forgotten how fragile she can be.

This evening we went over to my Mum's for dinner as usual, and Mayenne would watch her a bit of TV while we quickly finish our dinner and get her ready to go home. While she was watching, she got excited and found herself lying down on her tummy, but her left hand and a part of her lower arm were caught between her body and the floor. Not knowing how to release her trapped hand, she tried tugging and jerking it out, and before we can stop her, she twisted her wrist and some fingers.

That was followed by a loud painful wail and she was inconsolable. What almost killed me was when I saw her arm: all limp, red and swollen. And when we tried to rub her hand, she let out another shriek in pain. I thought to myself: why did I left my Baby suffer!

We tried to soothe her down: tried to give her some water as I think she must be feeling so afraid, but she refused. Fortunately, her favourite TV program called "Danny & Daddy" came on, and she started to calm down a little and then she smiled.

Then gently we tried to rub her fingers and wrist again and this time she didn't resist (was probably distracted by the TV). Shortly after, we gave her her favourite toy to hold in her left hand. Slowly she reached out and curl her fingers round the toy.

She's gonna be alright. Thank God for that.

I guess this is the dilemma for all parents -- learning to let go so that the baby can explore with her new found mobility, but at the same time is constantly worried about safety and accidents.

But I guess that's part and parcel of parenting, but such worries would seem so minute and negligible, as they are nothing compared to the joys to derive from our kids - it's immeasurable.

No comments: